asking again - worried sick about risk of transmission

Hi Lisa,

Let me begin by saying that I think I suffer from a bit of OCD regarding HIV transmission. There was an event in my life a couple of years ago that triggered this OCD and since then I have gotten tested a couple of times, sometimes for minor things.

Two days ago an incident happened that has made me concerned again about the risk of HIV transmission. I was drunk and ended up at a strip club where I bought a few lap dances. Nothing funny happened during these lap dances except that I kissed/licked/lightly sucked the dancers' nipples a couple of times. I don't think I sucked hard at the nipples. The thing that is worrying me is that I do not remember now if I tasted any breast milk or not. I also do not know if the stripper was lactating or not. There were no gaping wounds in my mouth or lips but there might have been some cuts and given the weather my lips were a bit chapped.

I have spent the past two days reading up on the internet the risks of HIV transmission via breast milk in adults and found answers ranging from "no risk" to "little risk". Given my propensity to get tested for almost any incident I wanted to seek your advice and ask if I should get tested for this situation? Being a married man has been adding to my anxiety. Please help me with your advice to decide if I should move on or get tested for this situation.

Jason.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there Breast milk from an HIV-positive woman can transmit the virus while breastfeeding infants. There are no recorded cases of HIV transmission via breast milk in adults. However, there is at least a small hypothetical risk. Do I think you should worry about 1-2 drops? No. Absolutely not. From a medical standpoint, no, I do not feel HIV testing is warranted. From a mental health standpoint, if you are worried, get tested! Take care, LHW

PEP - chances of HIV?
Loss of Appetite