PEP - chances of HIV?
Dec 20, 2013
Hello Dr,taking PEP within 24 hrs ( condom broked )on /off fever for 16 days.1.Is Fever is the Side effects of PEP?2.we tested partners girls ( 10 days Back )Eliza( HIV 1 & 2 )and P24 Antigen + Antibodies,result was negative.Still i have any chances of HIV infection.3.Will Single time unprotected Veginal or (condom Broken) contact with HIV + exposure will make me HIV Infected?4.is PEP will protect 100% from HIV ?5.When and What type of test will show accurate result within short time.Plse help me madam.I am in worry of HIV infection..thanks in advance..
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
Seems like your sexual exposure was with someone who was HIV negative (antibodies and p24). As such, there was essentially no risk.
Fever is not a usual side effect of PEP; but fever isn't only a possible symptom of HIV, it's a symptom of lots of other infections.
2) A single sexual exposure,even to a known HIV+ individual carries less than a 1% general risk of getting infected.
3) PEP is very highly effective, but no measure is 100% effective- so there are rare cases of HIV transmission after PEP.
4) HIV testing 3 months after the last exposure is considered definitive.
Hope that helps, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Groin Pain After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Penis After Anal Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Can I Get Genital Herpes If I Used A Condom?
- Can Moles On Your Vagina Cause Cervical Cancer?
- How Long Does It Take To Get Genital Warts?
- Can You Get Hiv From Fist Fighting?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.