Situation at a store

Hi dr Shannon,

I had a situation in a food store. I was waiting in the line and the cashier was handling my food. When I started to pay I noticed some weird dark spot on her palm, I think it was broken. I had my finger broken( broken skin and a little flesh wound) and I didnt have a band-aid on.Then I put my things in a plastic bag. I checked my items at home, they didnt have any visible blood on them.When I held my plastic shopping bag(that I got from the store) it touched my wound. I think the test I took is 3-months past the time and was negative. Do I need to worry? Thank you a lot for your ansewer.

Hi Thank you for your question and to your relief there is not a way for HIV transmission to happen in this way. Casual contact such as this does not pose a risk. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

You are HIV free and testing guidelines enforce that as 90 days post exposure gives you conclusive results.

Cut on finger in contact with blood!!! Please help me
stepped on a needle