The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sweat and cut

Dec 19, 2013

Hi, Some days ago I've visit a friend of mine in the hospital. Didn't know at that time he has HIV. And I had a cut in my finger and I grab his hand, he was sweating a lot. Can I be infected with HIV? Thank you for your time

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi No you cannot get HIV this way. HIV is not transmitted through casual contact, shaking hands, kissing, sharing utensils etc. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

In fact, the person who is most at risk in this situation is your friend. They are obviously in the hospital because they are ill and their immune system is weak and fighting. If you were to bring something in such as a cold or the flu this could add to their illness. You were more of a risk to them than they were to you. Continue visiting your friend, just be sure that you wash your hands before you go in and after you leave. Wish your friend well and do not be frightened of HIV transmission.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

I think I lost my mind!
hiv inquiry

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint