Concerned and confused

Hi Shannon, I have been suffering with contamination Hiv mainly OCD for a little while now. I am getting help with the situation, but struggle at times right now, hence why I've been told to ask an expert about my concerns...

Three days ago I walked very close to a syringe, which looked like it had been partially run over. I can't be sure I didn't actually stand on it, but I didn't have any puncture wounds that I could feel. I was only wearing flip flops or sandals I guess you would call them. I'm now concerned that I could have got infected with HIV and also that in the process of driving home, and getting home I have spread contamination on the floor in my car and around my home. I also picked my flip flops up later that day and thought that I could have been infected after that?! I touched my fridge, kitchen and door knobs all over the house after picking up my flip flops without washing me hands. I feel that I have somehow how spread hiv all around my house, my car etc, is that at all plausible? Should I be worried? I have tried telling myself that any blood that might have got on me from a syringe would be dead and unable to hurt me in the two minutes I walked back to me car and that all the surfaces in my house are safe cause of the same reason... I just wanted to ask an expert on there opinion to help bolster my own position!

Thanks for your time and sorry for the lengthy explanation.

Hi There's no need to worry about what you have described. HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted.

Worried oral sex and testing time
Risk through navel?