The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Really scared about bite

Dec 18, 2013

I was bitten by a pitbull today and I was worried that he could have bitten someone else right before me. Would this be a risk for hiv I know dogs cant transmit hiv I think but what if blood from the previous person was on his tooth also he jumped on my toddler and scratched him causing a little bleeding and if the dog had blood from scratching someone then scratched my son the dog looked to have blood on him that could have bumped my sons small cut. Do you consider this a risk for hiv? Thanks for your help.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi HIV transmission can only occur when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, semen, vaginal fluid, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. This most commonly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex and sharing of needles. Casual contact, sharing utensils, drinking after someone, etc are not way for HIV transmission to occur. If you go to this link HIV101 it will take you to our page that talks about the ways in which HIV is and is not transmitted. You can get other infections from dog bites but not HIV. If the dog did in fact bite someone prior to you, it would have to have been immediately then biting you as once HIV leaves the body it begins to die and becomes unable to infect.

The risk of HIV transmission through this experience is so very highly unlikely.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

asking again about risk of transmission

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint