Unprotected oral sex

On Nov 20th I gave and received unprotected oral sex with another male. I did not perform fellatio for very long instead I provided a hand job for him to reach completion which took several minutes. I was given fellatio through completion. There was no anallingus and no kissing. The whole episode lasted ten minutes. Within two days I was experiencing burning in my penis, some burning while urinating, testicular pain and prostate pain. I went to the doctor ten days after and had blood tests for everything on the list. All came back negative. I was given Levoquin for prostatitis. I am going crazy with worry. I have had night sweats almost every night, not sheet soakers by any means rather almost like hot flashes. Now I have a sore throat. What are the chances that I have HIV? How soon can I be tested again ? What types of tests should I seek? I am going crazy with worry as I have a wife and children and am concerned with their safety. I have not had sex with my wife and will not until I feel certain I am clean. Please help.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

First, let's discuss the use of the word "clean". When you use it to describe the state of being HIV negative, then by default you are assigning HIV positive people as being "dirty". It's discriminatory and feeds the shame and stigma experienced by HIV positive people.

In the future, simply say "HIV negative" instead of clean.

As for the risk itself..

The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low. Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus. Please note that other sexually transmitted infections are readily spread via oral contact and you may need to be checked for these.

Did they do a urine test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea? If they did, then these symptoms are not STD related.

Bottom line: You are HIV negative from this incident.

In health,

Richard

Do U.S. HIV antibody tests detect all groups and subtypes of HIV1?
Will I get HIV? Pls help!