The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do U.S. HIV antibody tests detect all groups and subtypes of HIV1?

Dec 9, 2013


Thanks for your time and professionalism.

I had protected sex with a massage worker in Asia, but the condom may have failed. Also, the worker used tissue to clean herself and then used that same tissue to remove condom / clean me up. I had a HIV 1 antibody test at a clinic in the U.S. come up negative a month out from the exposure. Then I took another combo test (PCR-DNA + HIV 1 antibody test) 10 weeks from the exposure. -- which also came up negative. I was satisfied with the finding, but have since had health complications and a series of chronic HIV-like symptoms that I can't explain. So, at a year out from exposure, I took an Oraquick In-Home HIV 1/2 test -- which came up negative.

Questions: Are these tests conclusive? Are they designed to detect HIV 1 for all possible groups and subtypes -- especially HIV 1 CRF A/E commonly found in Asia.

Thank you.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in. These tests are conclusive, and will detect all commonly found forms of HIV, including HIV 1 CRF A/E.

Also, there was no risk in this situation. HIV needs direct access to the bloodstream before transmission can occur. Any virus present on the tissue would not have access to your bloodstream, and would have started to die the moment it left her body.

Bottom line: Trust the test. You are HIV negative.

In health,


condom and anal
Unprotected oral sex

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint