Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

want to clear my confusion and fear
Dec 4, 2013

WHEN I WAS 10YEAR OLD,I WAS SEXUALLY ASSAULTED BY 4PEOPLE WHICH INCLUDE VAGINAL SEX,ORAL SEX AND FINGERING.THIS INCIDENT HAPPENED FOR CONTINOUSLY 1YEAR..IN 2001. NOW I AM 21+.MORE THAN 10 YEAR PASSED.RECENTLY IN THIS YEAR 2013 IN APRIL I TOOK HIV ELISA TEST,ANTI HCV,HEP B AND VDRL ALL CAME NEGATIVE. BUT IN THEBODY.COM AND IN YAHOO,GOOGLE I READ MANY PEOPLE WRITTEN THAT AFTER EXPOSURE THEY TESTED NEGATIVE FOR MANY YEARS BUT AFTER 7,9,10 YEARS THERE REPORT CHANGES INTO POSITIVE,,AND IN THOSE YEARS THEY HAVE NOT GONE TO ANY RISKY EXPOSURE. I AM SHOCKED AND CONFUSE THAT MEAN THIS VIRUS REMAIN DORMANT AND DETECT BY TEST AFTER MANY YEARS??I HAVE TAKEN AB TEST.DO I NEED TO TEST MORE TIMES AND YEARS? MY ONE TEST IS NOT ENOUGH TO KNOW MY STATUS AND DO I NEED TO TAKE PCR TEST?? CAN MY REPORT ALSO CAN CHANGE AFTER THIS??I AM NOW MARRIED FOR LAST 2YEARS..AND HAVE RLTNSHP WITH MY HUSBAND.CAN I INFECT HIM BY NOT SURE ABOUT MY STATUS??????????

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there I am very sorry to hear about your experiences and am glad that you are now free from that. You can be sure that your test is indeed negative given you were more than 10 years from the risk exposure. I am not aware of the many people "turning positive" 7-10 years after negative tests without engaging in any risks but as with any test there can be RARELY false negative results. The main cause of false negative results is that someone tested too early before antibodies had a chance to develop. This would not be the case with you. I would rest assure regarding your HIV status and do your best move on with your life and your husband. Take care, LHW

Previous
HIV
Next
HIV /Hep - B antibodies produced are same?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.