HIV Transmisson via bloody toothrbush?

Hi, I know this might appear a stupid question but since an incident last year I seem to worry even more so. Anyway..this morning I went to brush my teeth with my toothbrush and it was the bristles were touching the brush of my housemates toothbrush (which had little spots of blood on them...not sure if the blood was dry or not). I'm unsure of his status but I know he likes to sleep around a bit. I rinsed by brush under the tap twice and then brushed my teeth. Once finishing brushing I noticed my bottom gums were bleeding. I'm worried that due to my slightly bleeding gums and the fact my brush was resting on his brush before I began to brush that somehow there is a possible route for transmission for HIV? So sorry to appear irrational I'm just concerned.

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there Even if your toothbrush had come in contact with residual blood from your roommate on his toothbrush any possible HIV would have died. HIV cannot live long in the environment (some say seconds at most). If you remain concerned I would suggest getting an HIV test to allay your mind given that this even was a year ago. take care. LHW

Hiv survival
hiv