The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Getting Chlamydia from something other than sex

Nov 21, 2013

Hi, I was just diagnosed with Chlamydia today. My boyfriend and I have been together since July of last year and have been sexually active since then. September of last year I went to the gynecologist to get birth control and tested negatively for all STDs. In the past 16 months the both of us have been monogamous and I am 100% confident that neither him or I were unfaithful. I don't understand how I contracted Chlamydia between September and now. If he had had it all along it would have shown up in my first appointment. Should I get a second test to be sure? This has been an extremely emotional situation for me and I appreciate any answer possible, thank you!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Sometimes it can be a little hard to sort these kind of situations out. But let me give you some things to consider:

When you got tested last September for "all STDs" are you sure that you were tested for Chlamydia? "All STDs" can be different combinations of testings.

It's possible (even though unlikely) that your positive Chlamydia test was a false positive.

It's possible (though I'm sorry to say) that your boyfriend became infected with Chlamydia between September and now.

Other than those scenarios, I really can't see how this is situation happened.

Hope this helps! Feel free to send more questions if need be,



  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint