The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i am negative and my husband is positive

Nov 18, 2013

i have recently found out my husband is hiv positive and he has not told me for the past 3 years or more, i have tested now twice via prickingm y finger and it has come up as negative, now the doctor who is treating my husband has said i can be the carrier as i am showing up negative and my husband is postive, he drew me a flippen picture and saying i block out the antibodies and just pass it on, i must now go for a expensive blood test to see if i am hiding the hiv virus. i dont have support nobody knows and the clinics here is south africa only support positive people not us negative ones and they cant give me proper answeres, im going off my head.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I have not ever heard of this. If you had HIV the finger stick test would confirm this. The test is looking for your body building antibodies against HIV. Anyone who has HIV will develop these antibodies. Your husband was infected by someone else not you because the testing that you have had show that you are HIV free. My husband is negative and I'm positive and he gets tested about every 6 months and this is what I would recommend for you. Also the use of condoms to protect from getting HIV and making sure you husband stays in care and on treatment. We know that someone who has an undetectable viral load the risk of transmission decreases dramatically.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

super scared nd need urgent answers pls
Very worried

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint