The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv+ gf - she has a kid i want more her fears

Nov 16, 2013

i am 24 yr old HIV+ female my girlfriend of 4 years is - she has a child from previous relationship who is 5 i have helped raise this child for 4 years now i would like another child i would like to raise another child with her. it is not a option when i talk with her about it her fears are if i get really sick or something her having to take care of 2 kids by herself. i want a child and my mind will never change but i love her but i dont know if hers will extremely depressing

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi It sounds like you need to have lots of discussions with her as well as your health care provider. We know that someone in care and on treatment and reaching an undetectable viral load increases our life span. I have been positive for 22 years. The thing to keep in mind is we can all have something happen to us tomorrow that would take us away from our family. You shouldn't compromise your dreams because of the fear of not being here. Counseling is always a great option as well. She may need to have her fears addressed with the possibility of life without you and raising the kids.

Taking great care of yourself, taking your medications daily and maintaining an undetectable viral load, you can see yourself not only raising your children but enjoying the experience of being a grandmother!

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

possible exposure?
Please help me out I am going insane

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint