Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is mixed feeding safe for an hiv positive newly mother to the child
Nov 16, 2013

Hi, I'm hiv positive and recently gave birth through c-section becouse my viral load is high bt my cd4 count is 768.after giving birth the doctor recomended that I must not breast feed, only bottle feeding and also gave me pills to 'dry out' the milk. My baby is now 3 weeks and she takes nevarapine every 12 hours and she has not being tested yet for hiv. My concern is 1 day while I was home with her she was crying and was also restless so knowing that I don't have any milk coming out I put my nipple close 2 her cheecks and she imedietly sucked for less dan 5 seconds then took it out and imedietly when it was out I squeezd my nipple just to check and milk came out, I squeezed the other one and milk also came out. Does that mean I've infected her since she did suck and does it mean the pills never worked on me since milk came out? Please do reply as I'm highly stressed out right now

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The risk of mother to child transmission is because of the high volume of breast milk that the child ingest. Your body is still adjusting to just giving birth and reacts to stimulus so when the child attached to you, your body responded. There are items available that let you bottle feed the simulate you breast feeding. The medications should work with keeping your child from becoming infected. Also getting your viral load down is important so that you can stay healthy and here for the long haul to raise that beautiful child. Make sure you take your medication and continue giving your child theirs. The risk of transmission for the few moments of breast feeding is extremely low.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
body fluids
Next
Soulmate wants future with HIV positive woman

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.