Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

iv fluids splashed in face from hep c positive patient
Nov 7, 2013

I am a nurse and was working with a postop patient that had hep C. She had a central line with IV fluids hanging to gravity. I went to change her tubing and accidentally splashed about 50-100 cc of her IV fluids in my eyes,nose, and mouth. There was no visible blood in her tubing or IV fluids but am reading that you can contract hep C from mucous membranes without visible blood. What is my risk of hep C contraction? I am especially worried because I am still nursing my infant.

Response from Dr. Wohl

This certainly should be reported to your occupational health department. It sounds like it is the fluid that was running into the patient that splashed you and not anything from the patient's body. As the fluid had not entered her body, it should not be infectious at all. HCV will not climb up the tubing against the flow of the fluids.

DW

Previous
Please help me! I need to move on.
Next
Anal Mucus in mouth

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.