Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

tested negative at 90 days after exposure is this conclusive
Nov 5, 2013

Hi doctor i had unprotected sex with an unknown hiv status female three times on a weekend,I asked for status she nevere sent any proof of bein negative. since then I was having all this acute hiv symptoms neck pain tingling hands kenker sore, sore throat for the lo gest time almost 3 months, hot flashes no fever so I did a test 27 days after possible infection negative. Oraquick at 84 days negative and at 90 days elisa blod test at the doctors and non reactive but I still have pain in my neck and tingling hands and they started to peel of I know it is prety conclusive at 90 days on a regular basis but I had a liposculpture procedure two weeks after my risky expousure could this procedure get my inmune system compromised and not produce hiv antybodies to be detected at 90 days should I get retested at 180 days im very nervous and anxious dont know what to do my regulqr doctor said im fine no to worry but u are the expert an I apreciate your answer

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I agree with your health care provider that HIV is not present. Testing guidelines are to be tested 90 days after possible exposure and if no other exposures happened during this time then the results are conclusive. What you may be experiencing is something from the surgery or another sexually transmitted infection as HIV is not the only infection to be concerned about. If your symptoms continue I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your health care provider, but again from what you have described with your testing history you are HIV free.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Dear Dr Young,
Next
same meds for a long time, first time abnormal lab results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.