The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Oct 31, 2013

Hello Dr. Hightow-Weidman, You recently answered a question of mine regarding what I was worried were KS lesions. To sum it up I woke up with what I thought were bug bites that were red bump/welt like the first two days, the swelling and redness went away but the spots darkened and remained after 3 weeks. Your response was that you doubted they were KS by my descritption but I should see a Dermatologist. I am HIV negative in a long term monogamous relationship in which we have both tested negative together. I took your advice and went to see a dermatologist, she looked at the spots and said I had nothing to worry about they were just "stains" left by my reaction to the bites. I never told her I feared they were KS and the question of my sexuality never arose, so my question is does that change her diagnosis of the spots? If I told her that I was homosexual or that I was worried they were KS would she have looked at them differently? Or as a Dermatologist if they were KS would she have known that it was something more serious than just dark spots from bug bites? Sorry for the long question, I really appreciate your time, i just want to put all this behind me and stop worrying. Thank you very much DR.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- No, the diagnosis would not have changed whether or not the dermatologist knew any more information or not. Also, given that you are HIV negative, KS is even more unlikely so I would not worry. Take care


Threesome with strippers

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint