Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and Herpes kissing and protected sex
Oct 30, 2013

Hello, I wonder if I could ask about a situation here. Yesterday, I visited a prostitute in Colombia. She was a little over-affectionate and kissed me a lot and put her tongue in my mouth. It was little much for me and I didn't reciprocate that much. I put on a condom on and she gave me a blow job with the condom and licked my balls a little. Then we had vaginal sex with the condom. After we went through all of this, I noticed that she had cold sores. They weren't all that pronounced, so I missed them at first.

I already get cold sores fairly frequently, so I know I have HSV-1. I suppose since I already have it I don't need to worry about getting it from her. But do I need to worry about getting it on my genitals because she licked me? Is it possible she has a different strain? Virus 8? This morning I woke up and it looks like I actually have the beginning of a cold sore now too. Does kissing someone with colds sores cause you got get more cold sores even if you already have herpes? Or is it just my stress causing a breakout now? Also, if she doesn't already have genital herpes, it's quite likely that I gave her genital herpes by having sex with her after she sucked my condom-covered penis, yes?

Given all of this, there is also the big question of HIV. I asked her about it and about her cold sores. I think she said this was her first cold sore. She said she asked her doctor about it, and he said don't worry. She said it was from stress because her aunt passed away recently. She also said she had an HIV test recently and it was negative. This all sounds comforting, but I'm not sure I have any reason to believe her especially.

So the big question is, what is my HIV exposure risk here? I have read on this post that kissing is very unlikely to transmit HIV. The fact that she had cold sores obviously increases that risk a bit though. I did not have any breaks, sores, or bleeding in or on my mouth yesterday. How worried should I be? What should I do next? Should I look into PEP or am I being too paranoid?

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. And for your work in general.

Best, Kisser

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your questions,

Let's straighten some of this out, since you've presented quite a few questions.

I'm not hearing any risk for HIV. All of your sex (even the oral) was protected! A cold sore doesn't change this unless the person is bleeding (which would have to be a VERY irritated cold sore).

Herpes 8 is not a STD, I'm assuming that you mean Herpes Type 2. Her licking your balls doesn't sound specifically risky for Herpes unless she was rubbing her cold sore on you (that may have happened, but you'd know that better than me).

It's very likely that you have a cold sore coming up because of your stress/anxiety.

Lastly, Herpes cells weren't left on the condom after oral sex to infect her. Herpes is transmitted through direct skin to skin contact.

Hope all this helps!

Erik

Previous
one last question
Next
possible transmission, HELP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.