The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

one last question

Oct 30, 2013

My girlfriend is suffering from HIV and herpes and is under medication but two earlier she gave me unprotected oral sex to me for 5 min ,,,is this a risky activity ,,can I infected with HIV from this encounter. Do I need to do HIV test for this encounter. Please help ,,we r looking for your feedback. Thanks for your question, It's important to keep in mind that oral sex is not a good way to get or give HIV. This means that the oral sex you had was low risk to start with. Because your girlfriend is HIV+, my first question is if she is undetectable. If she is, that's great because it lowers the risk of getting HIV even more. hi sir i have copy pasted my last question and your feedback ,,,, my question is do i need to go for hiv test for this particular encounter. Because this is my only one encounter with her. She will take he tablets every time without mossing any does..

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your follow-up,

For all people with risk for HIV, it's a good idea to be tested. Even if the risk is low. So yes, we'd say you should be tested.

But something that I should've said before is that there could be risk for Herpes for you with unprotected oral sex (her mouth to your penis). Your partner may want to consider taking medication for the Herpes too, to reduce the risk of transmission.

Hope this helps!


unknowingly,i had sex w/hiv + girl
HIV and Herpes kissing and protected sex

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint