can i get hiv?

I did a dumb thing, and reached in to the biohazard box to get a tube that i had drawn on a paitent. I didnt get stuck by needle since they have caps on them, but i did notice two little scratches (which didnt bleed, or burn when i washed and put alcohol on it to clean it off, and the redness went away with an a hour or so after) It looked more like a little cat scratch, this was a few weeks ago, and I have gotten tested for HIV and the hepatitis panel. I also talked to a doctor who said he thought i would be fine.

what is my risk of catching a disease?

Response from Mr. Glenn

The doctor you talked to was right. Doesn't sound like there was any risk of getting HIV at all.

There would literally need to be a body fluid carrying HIV going inside of your body! That doesn't happen from scratches, the needle would need to go inside you.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Dental again
hiv transmission