Really strange question

My question is my son has been using what he thought was hand sanitizer at school everyday for the last month. His hands have became red burning and bleeding. I found out this was not his teachers or class sanitizer. They don't know were it came from its not even in his classroom. My question is if someone put hiv blood inside a bottle of sanitizer or whatever is in bottle since its sealed would it be able to infect since my son has been using it on his bloody cracked hands? I know this is a weird question but my son told me he saw red in the bottle. Thanks for your help. Should I have him tested for hiv or hep?

Hi Your son or any other child can get HIV through this type of exposure. If it were blood in the sanitizer, a couple things to know. First HIV begins to die once it is outside of the body and is unable to infect. Second, the ingredients in the hand sanitizer can kill HIV.

HIV transmission occurs when there is a direct and prolonged exposure to body fluids, blood, semen, vaginal fluid or mother to child through breast feeding. The most common way for this to occur is through unprotected vaginal or anal sex.

Breathe easy, your son is fine!

Concerned about deep glass cut on finger...
Dr. shannon please help.