Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerned about deep glass cut on finger...
Oct 13, 2013

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to read my question. I am sick to my stomach with worry over an incident that happened at work. I cut my index finger very deep with glass two days ago. The cut still burns when I wash with soap and water or put alcohol or hand sanitizer on. Today that particular finger came in contact with a co-worker's hands that had a fresh cut/blood. My question is even though my cut is deep and not healed completely, is two days long enough for the body to have started to heal well enough to put a barrier between my open cut and my blood stream. I am very worried and upset that I did not have my cut covered with a Band-Aid. Can you please help me? Even though my cut is deep(it probably could have been stitched), there is no active bleeding from the wound today. Could my co-worker's blood have made its way into my blood stream. I know a lot of the doctors on here say it has to be direct, prolonged exposure with a fresh wound, but I can not stop worrying.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I agree with the information that you are seeing on here. There needs to be a direct and prolong exposure. Transmission of HIV requires massive exposure to blood or other infected liquid for a prolonged period of time. The risk of HIV transmission from your exposure is incredibly low. I would move forward and make sure that you cover your wound until it is healed, not only to give it a chance to heal completely, but also keep other bacterias from getting in to complicate the healing process.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Worried - Condom Slipped Off
Next
Really strange question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.