PEP effectiveness at 39 hours
Oct 12, 2013
How effective is PEP if started at 39 hours after exposure? I heard it is recommended to be taken within 36 hours. I was 3 hours late.
Response from Dr. Wohl
There is no hard and fast rule or cut off regarding PEP. Animal studies show the sooner the better. After 3 days or so probably no benefit.
So, in reality it is impossible to say that starting at 39 hours is much worse than 36 hours.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Sinus Infection A Symptom Of HIV?
- Chances Of Getting AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute
- Blood In Semen After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Cold Feet After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Giving Oral Worried I Have HIV
- Flaky Skin After Touching Vaginal Fluid Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.