PEP effectiveness at 39 hours
Oct 12, 2013
How effective is PEP if started at 39 hours after exposure? I heard it is recommended to be taken within 36 hours. I was 3 hours late.
Response from Dr. Wohl
There is no hard and fast rule or cut off regarding PEP. Animal studies show the sooner the better. After 3 days or so probably no benefit.
So, in reality it is impossible to say that starting at 39 hours is much worse than 36 hours.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Nerves Does Herpes Affect?
- What Is The Difference Between Syphilis And Herpes?
- What If Your Chlamydia Becomes Drug Resistant?
- What Are Your Chances Of Getting Herpes If You Have Sex With Someone That Has It?
- What Are The Side Effects Of Genital Herpes?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Genital Herpes While Using A Condom?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.