Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DR DAVID WOHL I BEGGIN YOU :((((
Oct 12, 2013

Please dr Wohl help me, resure me, clarify me. I am in pregnant woman close to delivery. I have done 3rd generation antibody test before my pregnancy. But, one year prior to test and in the time of test, all that time with no pause, i was using herbal tablets of herb Peruvian Maca (ingridiants: dry extract of herb Peruvian Maca, dry extract of greek seed,bee pollen, lactose monohydrat, microcrystal celulose,mg stearat, l arginine and talk). It was eclia antobody test 3rd generation with index value 0.375 (for <0.9 is negative). After that test i was in panic that using these tablets could make false negative result on test or block producing antibodies. Then, i stopped to using that tablets and 2 months after i stopped to use them, i took again same test eclia antibody 3rd generation and was negative but higher index value: 0.576 (again for <0.9 was negative). So please answer my questions i am sick of worry because of baby. Please dr clarify: 1. Does using these herbal tablets one year prior to test and in the day of test, all that time with no pause with all ingridiants can make false negative on 3rd generation eclia antibody test? 2. Does using these herbal tablets for one year prior to test and in the day of test with no pause, can block body's producing antibodies (to block immune resposne to hiv virus)? 3. Am i definitive negative? -Just please note that both tests were done 4 years after my last posible exposure. Thank you dr! Please answer and clarify!

Response from Dr. Wohl

There should be no reason herbal treatments would make an HIV test falsely negative. You are negative.

DW

Previous
hiv child
Next
PEP effectiveness at 39 hours

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.