HIV TESTING

Hello Dr. If my partner and I have been monogamous for 6 years and have tested as far out as 5 years together at GMHC in NYC via UNI-GOLD blood antibody, are those test conclusive? And if we are not having sex outside the relationship is there a need to test every 6 months? I asked the question regarding the test accuracy at 5 years on other sites and kept being told that it is neccessary to test every 6 months even if we are monogamous and have already tested negative together. This scares me because it makes me doubt my previous test results and now that I am officially freaking out even if I go and test again how can I be comforted by a negative result if I have to test again in 6 months to see if I am infected? When is it conclusive? My partner and I are very aware of the dangers of promiscuity so we have no desire to sleep outside the relationship and because of that we are comfortable saying we are 100% monogamous. Thank you for your time and understanding.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Any testing done at 90 days or greater is considered conclusive. If you and your partner are confident in your monogamy then you could certainly skip the six-month test. You can simply wait until your annual check-up where you can do a full STD screening. I would do that for no other reason than it's just a darned good idea.

In health,

Richard

blood seep through during lap dance
Golden Shower hiv risk?