Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concern about indirect contact
Oct 10, 2013

About 6 weeks ago, I was invloved in an motorcyle pass-by accident which resulted in an abrasion/alvusion wound on the front of my leg just below the knee, the wound was about 2mm deep (max) and about 3 cm in length.

The lady at a flower shop (which I had just left after ordering a boquet of flower) provided some first aid medication for my wound (this was a few minutes after the incident therefore it was still a fresh wound). There was no direct contact between her and my wound, therefore this eliminates any direct blood to blood contact. However there was indirect contact as she did give me a cotton wool soaked with betadine solution, which I applied to my wound.

I am grateful for the lady's help but I can't stop being paranoid and pessimistic about the possibility of transmission (eg. if she had blood on her hands or if there were cuts on her fingers which could have indirect made contact with my wound). I think I did not visually see any blood on her hand (which if bleeding actively, I am sure would have transferred onto the boquet of flower she had just arranged for me?). How much blood would have had to be present to make transmission possible (bearing in mind that the cotton wool was applied with a betadine solution before being apply to my wound). How deep would my wound had to be? Is a wound depth of 2mm deep enough to penerate the skin?

I have also read online that betadine solution will immediately inactive the virus but could there have been any possibility of transmission?

I would like to thank you in advance for your respond.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

For transmission to occur, a cut or abrasion would need to be deep enough to allow direct access to the bloodstream.

Even though that was the case, there was still no risk. HIV does not live well outside of the body. Any virus present on her hands would be unable to infect you.

In health,

Richard

Previous
More testing needed?
Next
blood seep through during lap dance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.