Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

5 months post PEP & HIV tests
Oct 10, 2013

Hi Doc Richard, Hope you are well and thanks to you all for this helpful forum. I'm only 8 days away from my six months mark post exposure (5 months post PEP). My last HIV test was done four and half months post exposure and they told me that i had no HIV since it was negative. Should i go for my six months test or i should just rely on what our HIV counselor told me? Have you heard of any situation where a negative HIV test at four and half months post exposure can turn positive at six months post exposure? I need your help because anxiety is eating me up. Thanks in advance.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

You do not need a six-month test. 90 days is sufficient. If someone were to be experiencing an acute Hepatitis C infection then it *could* take up to six-months for the body to produce enough antibodies that can be detected by a test.

Unless you were sharing needles or involved in extremely rough sexual play (where there blood involved) at the same time as the incident in question I would not be concerned because that scenario would not apply to you.

If you feel you need to test at the six-month mark for your peace of mind, then go for it.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Indeterminate result, scared please help!
Next
after91 day anti body negative test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.