What is the possibility of attracting AIDS/HIV from dried blood?

Today at school I sat down at a desk and realized that there was a droplet of what appeared to be either dry blood or mayeb dried coffee. What alarmed me was a. the fact I didn't know what it was and b. I have a small cut on my arm and I don't know if it touched the mysterious substance. My question is... what is the liklihood of attracting hiv/aids from it? I was able to scrape it off the desk and it did crumble together, is that a sign of dried blood? I really need help calming my fear. Thank you!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

HIV does not live well outside of the body. Any virus present would have been unable to infect you. Furthermore, your cut would not provide a viable entry point in this situation. You were not at risk in this situation.

In regards to your question about dried blood crumbling: Yes, dried blood would crumble, but then again so would any number of other things. It's possible that it was blood you found, but it's more likely that it was the remnants of someones snack.

If you haven't had a chance, please take some time and review our section on HIV Prevention. It contains tons of easy to understand information on HIV transmission and prevention. I think you'll find it very informative.

In health,

Richard

help.
window period