Need Help

Hi doctor,

My daughter had a blood transfusion for anemia a month a now today.. my last month had been consumed with fear of HIV from the blood transfusionI had her tested for HIV 3 weeks... About 23 days after her transfusion and it was negative.. Is this a good indicator? Should I get her tested again at 4 weeks and then again at 3 months?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

I do not think your daughter needs to best tested for HIV. Information regarding transmission of HIV through blood transfusions is below with a link to the page where the information is stored here on TheBody.com.

Blood Transfusions : Blood donations in the United States have been screened for antibody to HIV type-1 since March 1985 and HIV type-2 since June 1992. This practice has almost eliminated the risk of getting HIV through a blood transfusion. Assuring the safety of the blood supply is a high-tech process requiring at least nine specific tests; proper processing, labeling, and storage; and vigilant quality control. Routine donations are now tested for HIV and hepatitis C through nucleic acid testing (NAT).

In regards to testing for HIV: By the 28th day most people will have produced enough antibodies that can be detected by a test, but you must wait until 90 days for a conclusive result.

In health,

Richard

Cunnilingus on prostitute 3 months ago
Negative HIV test but might have oral thrush. Am I HIV free?