Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared out of my mind
Oct 8, 2013

Hi,

I'm a 33 year old female. Approximately one month ago, I went on a date with a guy, we drank a lot and got drunk. From what I remember, he performed oral sex on me, I don't remember doing it on him nor do I remember having intercourse with him, we didnt have a condom with us and I remember telling him no, and I dont remember us having intercourse, he also said we didnt. But I am worried because part of the evening seems to be a blur and I'm hoping he did not take advantage of me if I passed out. Anyway, I do not know his status. About two weeks after this incident, I started getting a sore throat and fever, the fever would come and go and sometimes I would wake up with night sweats. I recently started having a heavy feeling in my head and have lost balance while walking. I ended up in the ER two days ago and they said I had vertigo. The did a complete blood work but they did not test for HIV. They did however say that according to my CBC counts, it was unlikely that I had an infection, everything seemed normal. I do know that the only way to know for sure is to get an HIV test. I am so scared. I have fevers that come and go and I can barely stand without feeling like I'm going to fall over. I've also been having headaches that come and go. I did some research online and dit looks like I may have ADEM, is ADEM a symptom of early HIV infection? I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday which would make it a little over 4 weeks since the incident in question, would a 4 week test be reliable? I am terrified and feel like my life is over at times. I am having trouble focusing on anything other than this. I have also developed minor diarrhea in the past day, it may be a a side effect of the vertigo meds but who knows. What do you think my risk is?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) is not HIV related. Were you to be experiencing ARS, the fever would not come and go, and would be part of a host of other symptoms. What you have described does not sound HIV related.

At four weeks an HIV test would give you a good indicator your true status. A 90-day test would confirm it.

Based on his account and your recollection, it sounds like intercourse most likely did not occur. For peace of mind you can go in for the initial test now and a follow-up at 90 days. I'm confident the result will be negative.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Justifies concern?
Next
hiv and the breast

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.