Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

4 months unprotected sex with hiv+ women (under ART). Chances of hiv?
Oct 1, 2013

Hello, I am married to a HIV+ women. This happened unknowingly and she believes she contracted the virus from her first husband. I have been having sex with her for the past four months, more than a couple of times a day. 70% of those were without a condom. She is very healthy because she's been under ART for the past 7 months (and she's been unaware about HIV/AIDS, the doctor has advised her to take the medicine on the account of ulcer). She's an illiterate.

So far, in the past 4 months, nothing significant has happened to me. Mouth ulcers have been seen (severe more than 4 mouth ulcers in a week, and I had to take a strip of B-Complex and multi vitamin tablets to cure them. by far in 27 years of my life, this is the worst mouth ulcer). And a week before the mouth ulcers was 4 days of mild fever, I took my general amoxylyn 500 and paracetemol for 4 continious days and I am perfectly alright. Again, this week, I have two very minute (of the size of 1 milli meter)

What are the chances of me testing HIV positive? I am ok to go get tested, I am not scared and I am confident enough to lead a good quality life without any pre-test counselling or post-test counselling. However, thats not 100% true, I am a bit anxious because I have to make different plans in life if I test hiv positive. So what are the chances or me testing hiv positive?

..given the fact that.. 1. I have been having passionate vaginal intercourse for the past 4 months with a hiv+ women. (missionary, bentover, women on top) 2. My wife is completely healthy and has a clean hygiene 3. My wife is under ART for the past 7 months (without knowing that she's taking medication for HIV) 4. I have been doing oral stimulation on her vagina

Ty.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Ty,

That your wife was being treated for HIV without her knowledge is very concerning and her physician committed a grave error in not explaining to your wife her condition and the nature of her therapy. The physician also failed to take into account the potential for your wife to unknowingly transmit her infection and advise her to use condoms. Her illiteracy is no excuse at all.

You are at risk for infection and should be tested. If your wife's HIV therapy has not been able to suppress her virus level to very low concentrations, she remains able to transmit HIV.

I recommend you start using condoms with your wife during sex and get tested for HIV now and again in 6 weeks.

DW

Previous
Please Help
Next
Passed through razor/toothbrush?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.