Oct 1, 2013
Dear sir, about 2 years ago, I had my first and only protected sex with a protitute in China. The condom is used consistentlt and correctly. I got tested at 6 months with negative results. But I konw condom is not 100%and antibody test is not 100% too, so I have the following questions: 1. Have you heared that someone who is infected by his first and only protected sex? I know there is someone who is infected by only one time of unprotected sex. 2. After 2000, have you heared that someone who has a window peoriod longer than 2 years? If no, then I want to take my 2 years test. 3. Have you heared that someone who is infected through protected sex has delayed seroconversion longer than 3 months? I know there is someone who is infected through protected sex. And I konw there is someone who has delayed seroconversion longer than 6 months. Thank you Dr.
Response from Dr. Wohl
There is NO way to get HIV if a condom was used and did not break. This event could not have transmitted HIV.
To answer your specific question:
1. The virus does not know it is your first time. If conditions are right (no condom, infectious partner, risky exposure) infection can happen.
2. The window period is measured in weeks, not years and with newer tests, it is really days.
3. See number 2.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- When You Have A Herpes Outbreak Do You Get A Sore Throat?
- What Do Genital Warts Look Like When They First Appear?
- What Can Happen If Hpv Goes Untreated?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Or Warts From A Safe Exposure With A Prostitute?
- Symptoms Of Shingles On The Brain
- Symptoms Of Hpv Skin Rashes
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.