My son and sewage water PLEASE ANSWER ME!!!!

Dear Dr. Shannon, Tonight I walked I to the bathroom and found my 5 year old son using the bidet. He said he wanted to clean himself and going to the bathroom. When I looked over I saw brown dirty water coming out, I guess we havent used the bidet in a while. Now I am so anxious and the first thing I thought was what if he gets hepatitis or hiv from this exposure. Then the water started running clear and clean. Please please answer my question. What are the chances he does get an infection from this. Is there any way blood can be in sewage system of a high rise building??? Thanks much for your time.

Hi Your son is fine, no risk of HIV transmission from this experience. If there were HIV fluids in the water, the good news is that once HIV leaves the body it begins to die and becomes unable to infect. Casual contact is not a way for HIV transmission to happen. It only occurs when there is a direct exchange of body fluid, vaginal fluid, semen, blood or mother to child through breast feeding. There is a possibility of other virus's and bacteria's from unclean water but even then the exposure your son had was minimal and most likely will not pick up anything. But again, HIV not a possibility here!

Should I be worried?
really worry please help me please