Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I HIV+, I'm not sure
Sep 30, 2013

I recently visited my primary doctor for a physical check up. Reasons I chose to do a physical background check was because two months ago I was infected with a ear infection and some fungus infection on my skin of my face. I did visit the emergency room because it was severe. I was given pain medication, even was injected some pain medicine with a vaccine. This occurred by the end of the month of July. I was also given some anti fungus and anti bacterial medicine for my facial infection. I stopped using this medication due to side effects of hives all over my body. The good news most of my ear infection is gone and my facial infection stopped spreading but I believe I may still have it, because I can see it coming back, but not as severe as before.

The doctor had called me back about the first test results after a week and she told me that I had to come in again for another blood work. She mentioned about the HIV panel test that needs to be retaken. The result of that section is below. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Panel 083824

HIV 1/O/2 Abs-ICMA 01 HIV 1/O/2 Abs- Index value 01 Repeat analysis of this specimen is required to establish valid results. However, the quantity of the specimen remaining is insufficient to repeat. Index Value: Specimen reactivity relative to the negative cutoff. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ This is all it says on the test result from "labcorp". In the section for HIV...It does not state non reactive or reactive after the "negative cutoff." sentence. So I am confused, terrified about this result. The doctor mentioned it's right on the borderline of Negative, but possibility being positive too. So I am very worried about this.

I went back to retake the blood work and still waiting for the results. I would appreciate if anyone could help me figure out what the test results is trying to explain. Is there any possibility of being negative or positive?

My exposure happened last year between september and december. Unprotected sex with someone else ( I bottomed unprotected) This person was tested earlier this year and told me he was hiv negative. Also this year only had oral sex, I received analingus and bottomed using toys (happened between april and august).

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi What the lab was reporting is that they didn't have enough blood to run the test. Your risk was very small as we know that condoms effectively prevent HIV transmission when used correctly.

Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission.

So I believe that again that there was not enough blood to sufficiently run the test and the redraw will give you the answers you need.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
PLease need you help. Possiable exposure?
Next
Should I be worried?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.