Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerned about non-sexual exposure
Sep 30, 2013

I work with victims of violence and was working with a clent - I noticed they had a bleeding spot on their neck (actively bleeding). After about 15 minutes they wiped this spot with their fingers. This person was upset due to this situation they were dealing and was crying - they then wiped their eyes with their hands. As the conversation continued they became very animated and was using their hands a lot to talk (ex. flinging them around, etc). At the time they were doing this, I felt something hit my eye and I am not sure if it was blood from their hand or blood mixed with tears. Regardless, I am extremely concerned about this and my level of anxiety is really high. Additionally, I am now feeling ill (sore throat, headache) and am worried that this is the first sign on seroconversion. If you could please let me know what you think my risk was for this incident, it would be greatly appreciated and whether my feeling ill now (almost two weeks after the incident) is possibly related. Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You cannot get HIV from this situation. I understand your fear, but HIV transmission occurs when there is a direct exchange of body fluid, needs to be a significant amount of fluid. The majority of time HIV transmission occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex, sharing needles and mother to child (through breast milk). Casual contact is not a way for HIV transmission to occur. The exposure must be prolonged and also a significant amount of fluid.

No need to worry, let you anxiety go!

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
im hiv psitive and my boyfriend is negetive
Next
Sharp poke in head PLEAE READ ND REPLY. I BEG YOU

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.