The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

61days is enough for HIV antibodys ?

Sep 24, 2013

Dear Doc,

I received a unprotected oral sex 4 months before from my colleague while we were at a business trip. She told me that she HIV free she is from India (Mumbai) I dnt knw my mind is doubting her maybe she is lying. I have genital warts while she is performing oral sex. And still I have warts at and I am taking treatment for that ( using podphlum ) as advised by dermatologist. I got tested for HIV 1 & 2 after 61days. Did this test is enough or I need to wait until 90 days? I read in ur site that antibodys will generate after 28 days of exposure. And last month I got sore throat, fever, cough.. and I have geographic tongue coming and going by weeks.. feeling tired and rashes at body..dnt knw..feeling scared from insidemy mind is warning me that something is not good and these symptoms are form HIV. So me and give some advice

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello Oral sex is a very inefficient way to contract HIV and would be considered overall a low risk activity. Certainly any open sores (if your warts were actively being treated) might increase the risk but by how much is hard to say. Most antibody tests are very accurate at 28 days and near conclusive by 90. I would suggest re-testing at 90 days to be sure. Take care LHW

Do I have HIV?
Bagger with loose bandaid

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint