Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected Anal Sex and Acute HIV Infection
Sep 21, 2013

DR Wohl

About 3 weeks ago I had unprotected anal sex with a person whose HIV Status remains unknown. I was the top. There was no blood on my penis. A week later, I developed a number of symptoms which I attributed to the flu. These included, sore throat ( negative strip culture), muscle aches, pain in my ears and throat, and extreme fatigue. The symptoms have continued to worsen over the two weeks that I've had them. I went to my doctor and informed him of my symptoms. His straight-out response was that it was one of two things, acute/primary hiv infection or mono. The mono test and HIV test were both negative. He informed me that at this stage, HIV antibodies would not be detected in a standard HIV test. His treatment recommendation was to wait 3 weeks and test again. He said that the HIV test at this point would be conclusive.

I have three questions

Are the symptoms I have presented only indicative or HIV or mono?

Would a standard HIV test in the next 3 weeks be conclusive?

What about measuring Viral Loads in the next 3 weeks as a means to determine HIV infection.

I anxiously await your response

Response from Dr. Wohl

This was a risky exposure if a condom was not used. Your doc should perform either a 4th generation HIV test that looks for p24 antigen along with HIV antibodies OR a plasma HIV RNA PCR test. Waiting wastes an opportunity to detect acute/early HIV and possibly start treatment to preserve immune function.

Waiting until antibodies develop follow a paradigm that is no longer followed given these newer tests.

DW

Previous
Plase answer Dr. Wohl
Next
Please answer, I'm scared

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.