Transmission Via Semen On Finger Inserted Into Anus

This question has always been interesting to me. I'm poz and participate on a forum on another site. There are some who are adamant that transmission is totally impossible, if someone ejaculates in their hand and then inserts it into someone's anus. They will say the virus is fragile, air would kill it, etc.

I think they may be giving bad advice. Can we say that all viable virus would be killed in less than a second, especially if someone has a very high viral load? This actually caused an argument. Some said it was perfectly fine to use someone's semen as lubricant to continue having sex with a condom. That just seems messed up logic to me. Perhaps I just don't understand enough about the virus. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling someone the virus is totally killed in such a short amount of time.

Thanks for your input. As I said, maybe the virus is really rendered dead in a split second.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question/comment,

I feel the same way you do. HIV does not die as soon as it hits the air (in a "split second"). It begins to die.

If someone with HIV were to ejaculate on their finger and then immediately stick that finger up someone's butt, that could definitely be risky.

There's a problem when we try to figure out exactly how risky though. How deep is the finger pushing the cum up the butt? How much was there in the first place? How much get pushed off as the finger goes in? Did the finger actually go in immediately after the poz guy came or did he wait a little?

All these questions complicate the answer, especially if we're talking about a penis covered in cum as opposed to a finger! The bottom line is that if cum goes up the butt there could definitely be risk. It's not an exact science of how long it takes for HIV to die. We know it's pretty quick, but why chance it?

I know these isn't a super clearcut answer, but neither is the situation. People may be looking for ways to almost get the experience of "raw/natural" sex, but I'd caution people away from does it this way!

Hope this helps!

Erik

P.S. Feel free to point any of your friends to our forum if they have questions too!

hiv and hands
is there a risk of hiv through contact with someone's hand?