Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerned

Sep 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to a sex club where we had sex with another girl. I had a condom on but my girlfriend was fingered and we noticed she was cut from the other girls fingernails from being pleasured. 10 weeks after that my girlfriend had a minor sore throat, was extremely tired, had a slightly swollen lymph node and a rash developed on the truck of her body. The rash and swollen lymph node lasted approximately a 3 days but she was very tired for about 10 days. After she broke out in a rash she went to see the doctor about her symptoms but the dr was not to concerned as the rash was faint and the swollen lymph node was very minor. I have not had any symptoms myself. 2-3 weeks after those symptoms disappeared she began to get dry, itchy vaginal lips. There is no discharge but it appears red and dry. We are worried that the symptoms are ars?? Please help...

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

From what you're describing though, there wasn't any risk for HIV for either of you.

When a condom is used and doesn't break/tear, there is no chance to exchange body fluids. Therefore no risk for HIV.

When a person is fingered, there is nothing coming out of the finger to infect them. The only exceptions are clear, obvious, and extreme (e.g. a finger that is actively and obviously bleeding! Can you imagine fingering someone with your finger like that?). Therefore no risk for HIV.

I can understand where your girlfriend's doctor is coming from. The "symptoms" she's experiencing are so very common and caused for dozens of reasons (stress over assumed HIV risk for example). However, if she continues to experience physical things that feel out of the ordinary, by all means, talk to a doctor. But try not to distract the doctor with talk of HIV when neither one of you had risk.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
sex worker-extremely worried and terrified
Next
Oral sex with condom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.