Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Wohl could you please read this and help?
Sep 12, 2013

Dr. Wohl, Please give me your professional opinion. I'm a male and I have been dating this woman for about 3 years now and we have had unprotected sex the whole time. I feel very confident that she has been faithful to me but just about a month ago I had a hard bump on the head of my penis about the size of a small pea. It went away after about 2 weeks and it never really bothered me at all unless it rubbed a little on my boxers here and there. I noticed it late at night and so I went online and emailed one of the urologist doctors on the website "Just Answer" and I sent a pic to him and he said it was primary Herpes. I went online to the "std alert" website and ordered a 10 panel test that I had to take at Lab Corp. I was checked for HIV 1 and 2, Hepatitis A,B, and C, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphilis, and HSV 1 and 2 IgG type spec. All my results came back negative except HSV 1. Should I do anymore testing? Should I be concerned about any of the disease's that I tested negative for? And if it is herpes whats my outlook on another recurrence? It would be greatly appreciated if you could please answer my question Dr. Wohl!! Thank you

Response from Dr. Wohl

It is really hard to make a diagnosis by photo so I'd be cautious about the labeling of this as herpes.

Almost all of us carry HSV-1 and it can cause cold sores and even genital ulcers. A hard pea-like knot would not be typical for HSV.

If it happens again, go to a doctor.

The other testing is conclusive.

DW

Previous
hiv free?
Next
PREGNANT AND SCARED

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.