Oral Sex 2 Days after taking Zithromax

Hello Dr. Cordova. I'm a young college guy who has been in a monogamous relationship for 3 1/2 years. We are both very committed to our relationship, and neither of us has cheated. (I trust her.)

About a month ago, I noticed a burning sensation when I urinated approximately two days after having protected sex with my partner. This sensation has continued mainly in the morning over the course of the month. About a week or two ago, I began to notice that I had some discharge in the morning, too. I therefore got tested for a UTI, and it came back negative, so I decided to also get tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea. I have not received the test results yet, but I did take one 1000mg dose of Zithromax about about two days ago.

Here's my question. My girlfriend and I have not had sex for this entire month because of my burning sensation, and we have been feeling antsy. Last night, one thing led to another, and she gave me unprotected oral sex. Now I had been feeling no symptoms since I took the Zithromax, but this morning I woke up with discharge and a burning sensation again.

My girlfriend needs to get tested, and I have told her about what's going on. But if she say does have chlamydia, is it possible that she reinfected me to the extent that I would be exhibiting symptoms again within less than 12 hours of exposure?

Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Symptoms within 12 hours seems a little soon, but I suppose it's possible. If it is an STD, it sounds like she may be infected in her throat. If she gets tested they will need to perform a throat swab to see if she has an STD in her throat. A urine test will only look for an infection in the urethra. I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

condom broke?
Sex with a prostitute and worried.