Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Less than 5 seconds of unprotected anal!!! HIV Infection Risk???
Sep 9, 2013

Hello Dr. Cordova, I have read countless posts and have conducted (what seems like) endless research on the subject, and as many answers and blogs on my particular situation as I've found, I have not found a satisfactory answer seeing as how my issue seems a bit different.

Here's the situation. I had a sexual encounter with a 34 y.o. black male that I had literally just met and whom I knew nothing about (sexual history/number of partners etc). I made it clear right off the bat that condoms would be required for anal, but stuff happens. First, he put my penis inside of him for a brief second or two and I immediately yanked it back out after realizing I didn't have a condom on, then as I was trying to put a condom on mine, he put his unprotected penis inside me and got a only a couple pumps in before I yanked him out of me to reiterate my rule of using condoms. He had not ejaculated by this point. Anyhow, after that incident, I gave him oral, and he didn't warn me before ejaculating so most of it got in my mouth and some down my throat.

Although I do not know conclusively if he is HIV+ or not, I have good reason to believe he has been exposed to it in the past as he later admitted to having a LOT of experience with other men. AND being as that he didn't seem concerned w/ wearing condoms it's obvious that 'safe sex' isn't a priority to him, which is equally as scary!

Please help Dr., you have no idea what a response from you would mean to me!!! I feel like all the other freaked-out, worried-sick, sleep-deprived/anxious people on this and other sites right now. I just need to borrow a little wisdom from you until I can get a conclusive test so that I'll be able to stop worrying until I can get the test done. What do you think my risk is for getting HIV based on what I've told you?

Thank you in advance!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Overall, your risk was fairly low. Oral sex is a safer-sex activity, and does pose a real risk for transmission. The unprotected penetrative sex was extremely brief which makes transmission unlikely. An HIV test at 90 days will give you a conclusive result.

It sounds like you already know the value of using condoms. In the future, keep a closer eye on what's going in your rectum and where your penis is going and you should be good to go.

In health,

Richard

Previous
i need to be sure please help
Next
Is a rapid HIV test accurate after 3 week of exposure?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.