Concerned I swallowed from HIV+ undetectable guy.

I'm concerned for 2 reasons. 1. Because very low risk to me means there is still a risk. 2. I tested positive for gonorrhea of the throat from my STI test the day after I swallowed. I rarely perform oral sex let alone swallow. I was advised by the clinic to return 3 weeks after I swallowed for an RNA test. In the meantime, help me understand how my gonorrhea increased my risk as I've read it does. Is it irrelevant if I already had it or got it by swallowing? Thank you.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

The risk of HIV transmission would have been increased if you had already been infected with Gonorrhea. When you are infected with an STD your body ramps up its production of CD4 cells. These are the cells that HIV likes to infect. Gonorrhea is a site-specific infection. Wherever you have the infection is where the bacteria is located. The Gonorrhea infection sent CD4 cells to the site of the infection which could have potentially increased the likelihood of transmission if you were exposed to the virus at a later date and hadn't caught the infection.

Bottom line: I do not think you need to be concerned about HIV in this situation.

In health,

Richard

should I try to get PEP treatment?
Please answer! Possible risk from fluid being on hands