Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

should I try to get PEP treatment?
Sep 9, 2013

I am on a visit to Ivory Coast and I have been going out with a local girl. we had only protected sex until yesterday when my condom broke and we ended up having about one minute of sex with no protection until I realized this. From the short period I know the girl she doesn't strike me as especially promiscuous, although she did offer to take off the condom once which causes me to worry. when I asked her if she ever had HIV tests she said she takes them from time to time, and that she had her latest 2 months ago (I don't know if this is real, or is she just saying it to make me feel better...) In conclusion, my only question is: does this condition seems viable for trying to get a PEP treatment, considering the country's high HIV rates? or is it not serious enough to excuse such a treatment? (forgive me if my question is too vague or subjective, I have no access to any other medical info here, and I am going nuts with worry...)

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

The likelihood of transmission is still fairly low in this case. This was a one-time occurrence, you were the insertive partner, and the amount of time you were inside of your partner unprotected was brief.

PEP must be started within 72 hours at the latest, based on the date of your question I believe you are outside of that window.

I would suggest a test at 90 days to be certain. If you like, an initial test at 28 days will be a good indicator of what to expect at 90. I am confident the result will be negative.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Help. So many questions. Gonorrhea
Next
Concerned I swallowed from HIV+ undetectable guy.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.