HIV Transmission rate

Hello DR. Fawcett,

I wanted to get your opinion on what are my actual risks for infection may be? I have been with my boyfriend for two years now. I myself am a gay male and I have been tested for HIV several times before and I am always panicking about it. I would call myself a hypochondriac. Since January of 2012 I have had sex with 5 people. One of which was my boyfriend. In february I had unprotected sex with an 18 yr old boy from a rural area without protection and lotion for lube. In May I developed a High grade fever and headache. My Doctor made me get a blood HIV test and it came back negative. Around October of 2012 I had sex with another guy. He gave me fellatio and I gave him for maybe a minute or two. I then rimmed him for about a minute. We used a condom but stopped having sex after 2 minutes because of a mess. We finished with me cumming in his mouth. I ended up contracting Gonorhea from him. Which both my bf and myself were treated for. My bf and I then had 2 three sums between november and december. Everyone involved wore condoms. The second one didnt last very long and again we were infected with gonorhea. The first one lasted a long time and was pretty intense. The condom broke once and we put another one on right away. When this happened I informed all the guys to get tested and they said they were negative for HIV.

On a side note I found out in May that I had EBV the ebstein barr virus.

I was just wondering if you could give me the probability that I have become infected HIV based on my history.

Thank you I appreciate all that you do

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in. The incident of unprotected anal sex was higher risk, but you tested negative for that encounter. The risk of HIV transmission was low during the other hookups.

Oral sex is not an effective route of transmission for HIV, and using a condom during penetrative sex is a great way to protect yourself against HIV and many other STD's.

In health,

Richard

Laminine
I need help