Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cuticle, and liquid
Sep 9, 2013

Hi dr Shannon,

I was with a person who popped her pimple and few seconds later handed me my glasses. I held them with my finger tips and walked to my car for 10 seconds. I used a wet wipe (for hands and multiple use) to clean my hand. I had my manicure done 2 days earlier with my cuticles cut, I have very tender skin it did get a little broken. If I wipe my fingers over few times with the wipe is that enough? Doesnt it spread to broken cuticle when I use it multiple times over the finger? Are wet wipes like soap and water if you dont have any other option to clean you hands? Thank you for your ansewer.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The risk of HIV transmission with your experience, is incredibly low to no risk at all. HIV transmission occurs when there is a direct and prolong exposure to body fluid, this mainly occurs through unprotected vaginal or anal sex, sharing needles, mother to child through breast feeding. Getting the broken cuticles, hang nails, etc carries no risk!

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Eye contact. Please help me!!!
Next
concerns

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.