Shannon a quick question for peace of mind

I had a recent exposure about a month ago. Date was August the 11th2013. I was insertive partner and can't remember if the condom broke or not. At 19 days I requested a PCR RNA Quantative for a peace of mind. The results came back 7 days later stating: HIV 1 RNA, QN PCR <20 not detected and <1.30 not detected. The test was performed using Cobas Ampliprep TaqMan(R) hiv-1 test kit version 2.0(Roche Molecular System) I also had an oraquick Mucous test at 28 days. Should I continue testing or should I take a peace on that. I am a teacher and can't afford feeling depressed 2 weeks into school. Thanks Shannon for everything you do.

-Alex

Hi Alex Being the insertive partner with a condom does dramatically reduce your risk of HIV transmission. Yes of course if the condom breaks it does increase the risk. Getting tested at 7 days, a PCR, is a great start and this test does pick up virus early but it is also is just the start still with testing guidelines. It is also still recommended that folks receive a conclusive test at 90 days, this as long as there are no other exposures during this time. A majority of individuals will test positive, if so, will show on an average of 3-4 weeks. Your overall risk is low, again of being the insertive partner with a condom, but testing is highly recommended at the 90 day mark.

My husband is Bisexual and HIV positive
Eye contact. Please help me!!!