Varying Spousal Results

I was contacted by health dept saying I may have been exposed to HIV. My husband was found positive, I was negative. I have had no other partners other than my husband. Since I have MS we have been using condoms anytime we have been intimate to prevent pregnancy. Is this possible for us to have differing results? Needless to say, I'm a bit scared. He is concerned that it may be the MRSA causing a false positive because he has tested negative in the past (2 years ago) and is now testing positive.

Hi It is possible for you to have different results. When someone has an exposure there is what we call a window period. Meaning someone within the first 90 days can be positive but their results read negative. Because the test is looking for our body building antibodies against HIV and everyone develops these at different rates, but will have them if they are positive within that 90 day time period. Since your husband has been your only partner, it is most likely someone from his past has tested positive or he was in a situation that put him at risk, a tatoo, blood transfusion etc. and with his positive result this is why you were notified. Having a MRSA infection does not interfere with test results. Because again the testing is looking for the body building antibodies against HIV and nothing interferes with this happening. My husband is negative and I'm positive. We call this a magnetic couple and it is completely possible for you to maintain your relationship and your great sex life. You cannot get HIV from kissing, we know that condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off. Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. The most important thing to make sure is that your husband stay in care and on treatment, because we also know that having an undetectable viral load reduces the risk of HIV transmission dramatically.

Feel free to browse our site and ask any questions, this is what we are here for. And I promise there is life after diagnosis!!!!

2ND TIME ASKING... Lost 3Kgs. Super Stressed Up. NEED YOUR ANSWER. I BEG YOU...
My husband is Bisexual and HIV positive