The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Sep 1, 2013

Please i need to be cleared,if someone happens to have a bleeding gum and the person had an open mouth kissing with me, and i have hole in one of my teeth.please am i at risk of hiv. My second question is,can one go for test before 90 days if exposed to hiv. Thanks Val.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The risk of HIV transmission with oral sex is extremely low. It is even reasonable to state that for the person receiving oral sex (that is on whom oral sex is being performed) the risk of acquisition of the virus is practically zero. For the person placing his or her mouth on someone else's genitals, the risk may be slightly higher but still very very low. Theoretically, obvious cuts, wounds, sores, or infections in the mouth could raise this risk. But relatively speaking this is still considered to be a low-risk sexual activity as the mouth is not a hospitable place for the HIV virus. Kissing carries no risk of HIV transmission. Of course if there are wounds that are open and bleeding in both people the risk does increase slightly, but just that slightly. The guidelines for testing are to be tested initially at 3 weeks post exposure and then again at 90 days. If no other possible exposures occurred during this time than the results are conclusive. Of course you can get tested in between the 3 weeks and the 90 days. But the conclusive results are at the 90 day mark.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

No other exposurw

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint