Specifics of Acute Illness - Dr. Shannon Southall

Thanks for all you do - you guys rock @ providing information to worries people!

So for me, i recently lost my mom and then my uncle shortly after. I am not a depressed person usually but it's been very bad. I have been in a LTR for 8 years with my partner (another man). Sex has dwindled and I can't get him to have sex with me any longer. One night of drinking too much led me to a mistake of a hop in the sack with another man who happens to be a close friend who "gets around".

8 days following this encounter in which i provided receptive oral and protected anal receptive sex i developed very painful glands mostly around my jawline and a feeling of being overheated. That lasted for 5 days and then feelings of neuropathy began in my arms and legs, severe numbness and tingling that lasted two weeks.

My question - is my guilt making this to be acute hiv infection or do I have a valid worry?

Hi First, I'm sorry to hear about all of your loss what a difficult time to be going through. Second, you did everything right with your indiscretion with another partner. Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission and condoms are effective in the prevention of HIV transmission, as long as they are used correctly and do not break or slip off.

I hope you are able to get through this emotional time and can regain things with your current partner. Always play safe!

RE: HIV transmission - Hair Salon??
a big mistake